Christina Monilaws – President
The Hankinson Public Library was founded by the Women’s Literacy Club in 1904. From 1904 until 1913 the library was housed in the public school building. From 1913 to March 1982, the library was located on the second floor of the City Hall building. On March 22, 1982, the library was moved with the help of the grade school children to its current main level location in City Hall.
In 1916 the library was operated with the help of the city council. They appropriated $5.00 per month for the librarian’s salary. Mrs. Kate Spottswood, wife of a local pioneer, served until 1925. Mrs. George Schuett then served from 1925 until 1962 when Mrs. Ann Roeder began as Librarian, a position she held until her retirement in the mid-1980s. In the years since Ann retired, Peggy Lammers, Marsha Hauser, Andrea Stein, Natalie Medenwald, Phyllis Johnson, Kathy Mojica, and Sara Gregor have held the title of librarian for the Hankinson Public Library. The position is currently held by Lynnette Scheuring.
The library is currently open four days per week and features a very successful program called Story Hour for all children pre-k and younger. Story Hour was established in 1967 following the rejuvenation of the upstairs library. The children meet once per week during the school term. For eight weeks during the summer, the library hosts a reading program for children ages four through sixteen.
Thank you to the Hankinson Community Endowment Fund, giving us a grant in 2020, we were able to start a coding club. The coding club was changed to the xSTREAM Club which meets on Tuesdays at 4:00 for an hour. The xSTREAM Team is open to all school aged children and runs through the school year. The club does projects from the science, technology, reading, engineering, art and math fields.